Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Bill Bill is offline

Default A piece of scrap redesigned a bit.

On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 12:11:16 -0600, "Kate"
wrote:

"mac davis" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 19:47:21 -0600, "Kate"
wrote:

I had this piece laying on my bench, and picked it up one day while I was
bored. I started in on it then couldn't make myself set it aside until I
was
finished with it.
Now, it looks like it's going to be a box top.

Is that all free hand, Kate?

mac

I didn't create the dragon but the enhancements are out of my warped
imagination.
Pretty easy really. I keep thinking that I need more depth but then I look
at it and tell myself that it's not needed on this piece.
What do YOU think?

It's just the right size to hold a deck of playing cards, if I make the box
deep ehough, it could hold a couple of decks. Might be kind of cool.

Kate

Kate,

Very nice piece. I think that clear coating it will emphasize the
cuts and you'll find that you have plenty of depth.

You might try expirementing with a colored finishing wax to emphasize
cuts. Many carvers use this on "in the round" pieces to give them an
antiqued look.

There is a product called Briwax that comes in a dark color and some
people even use shoe polish (wax - not liquid ; ) )

HTH
Bill

btw - Santa left me lots of carving goodies and I can sympathize with
the desire to do nothing but sit at my bench and carve.