Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jusme[_2_] jusme[_2_] is offline

Default BUILD A SMALL STEAM CLEANER?

Thanks, Grant.

I think that I will put your idea on the back burner, pardon pun, until I
need a steam cleaner for outside.

I need this inside but your post suggests that my idea is feasible.

I can't get in the crevices that I need to get clean with a wire brush.

I will have to soak with diesel fuel and steam it and then blow dry.

I definitely will make the propane bottle deal later on.

j/b

"Grant Erwin" wrote in message
.. .
jusme wrote:
I need to clean some really caked on grease that is on an old engine in a
machine.

I was thinking of taking a tea kettle and shutting the spring-loaded lid,
inserting some 1/4" copper tubing into the lid's hole, setting the thing
on a hot-plate, putting a spring on the tubing where one would hold the
tubing so as to prevent fingers being burned.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

If you want to build a steam generator, here's an easy way: take an old
propane bottle and follow the steps on the Web to remove the valve and
prepare it for reuse:

http://tinyisland.com/LPvalveRemoval.html

Then you can put water in it and thread in a 3/4" plug which has been
drilled and fitted with 1/4" tubing. Put the whole thing on an outdoor
burner like the kind that comes with a turkey deepfrying setup, and
heat it until it boils. Unless you have a valve on the tubing you
won't have an overpressure problem.

But it's a lot easier to use Castrol purple cleaner - spray it on, work
it with a wire brush, wash it off.

GWE