Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc
geoff geoff is offline

Default 1001 things that won' t save the planet. Or even come close.

In message , magwitch
writes
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Tim Ward wrote:
"magwitch" wrote in message
New Scientist

Years ago it stopped having any science in it at all and became
entirely devoted to politics (of one sort or another), so I stopped
reading it. Has this changed?

Not a lot.
Its still very 'wow, save the whale, green is good, and here's a bit
of incomprehensible string theory to make you feel you actually
understand the universe' sort of stuff.
If you are smart enough to wing your way past the lefty ******** and
the lack of intelligence of the journalists, sometimes it does
provide a pointer to something quite interesting going on: But sadly
you can't rely on the journalists to distinguish between complete
scams and real science.
It does best when there is no political angle at all, and when the
journalist understands so little that he/she gets the person doing the
research to more or less write the article themselves.

I was once interviewed there unsuccessfully. Three weeks later they
phoned me up wanting me to freelance for them, but offering the same
pay as if it were the full time job I didn't get, not proper freelance
rates. Cheapskates, I thought.

They obviously thought that was all you were worth

and the chip remains

--
geoff