Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default Time to forget Ebay?

In message , at 13:01:48 on
Fri, 28 Dec 2007, Owain remarked:
The ... prevention of fraud is very important to us
But less important than protecting the privacy of the fraudster.
Depends on who is paying to cover the cost of the fraud

Yes, if a Credit Card Company allows a chargeback after a dispute
with a seller, you don't expect them to tell you the dodgy trader's
personal details as well.

On the contrary, your credit card company will give you contact details
of the merchant for any transaction on your credit card, on request.
I've had to do this when transactions have appeared with unrecognisable
names and I've had to phone up ABC Widgets Ltd and ask them if they are
also trading as Magic Widgets.

I would have expected that telling you the proprietors name was well
into "no, because of Data Protection" territory. But if the Card
Companies are happy to reveal that stuff (having built it into their
merchant agreements) I'll take my hat off to them.
--
Roland Perry