Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc
Mark Goodge Mark Goodge is offline

Default 1001 things that won' t save the planet. Or even come close.

On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 20:13:25 +0000, magwitch put finger to keyboard
and typed:

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 22:59:46 on Thu, 27
Dec 2007, Tim Ward remarked:

Why did you leave off "stop using disposable nappies"?

What's the carbon footprint of using "real" nappies? Lots of
detergent/disinfectant to manufacture and deliver, washing water to
clean deliver and heat, drains and sewage works to treat the waste
water, etc etc.

In the 60s my baby sister's nappies were held in a flushing toilet, if
still really messy they soaked overnight in a bucket full of bio wash,
then put into the washing machine with the rest of the washing and then
dried outside on the line.

So no worse than if a baby was physically able to use a loo itself like
anyone else.

No, because if the baby was able to use the loo it wouldn't have
nappies that needed washing. You don't wet your clothes every time you
have a pee, do you? If you did, you'd end up washing your clothes a
lot more often and it would be propertionately more expensive (and
eco-unfriendly) to do so.

Mark
--
http://www.MotorwayServices.info - read and share comments and opinons
"All I want is to find an easier way to get out of our little heads"