Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

Default Time to forget Ebay?

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 11:44:38 on Fri,
28 Dec 2007, The Natural Philosopher remarked:
Tim Ward wrote:
"Roland Perry" wrote in message
I don't think the PayPal fees are going to put off sellers any more
than the listing charges do
I'm not sure that's the main objection to PayPal. I get the
impression that the main objection, and the reason I won't use it,
is that it simply doesn't conduct itself to the standards we expect
of a UK bank even in these benighted times.

Precisely.
if there is any dispute, they hang onto the money from everyone, and
take weeks to clear it.

Whereas it is clearly preferable to let the guilty party do a runner
with the funds, and leave the aggrieved party empty handed?

When I conduct a transaction with someone, I don't want a 3rd party in
between.

That's a bit difficult if you want to use a cheque, credit card or
PayPal to buy something, I agree.

Particularly one who won't let me have details of the counterparty.

That's something that might need a little work.

I'm looking for a "test case", if anyone has such a thing. I'm fed up
with mere innuendo and need something to get my teeth into.

And who tales my money, banks it for weeks, and charges me for the
privilege.

Charges you more than it would just for handling a non-troublesome
transaction?

Definitely.
Loss of income on money not in the bank is quite substantial

Ebay has in nay case bent their rules to favour the anonymous vendor of
crap, rather then the publicly notifiable and contactable vendor of
second hand goods.

Paypal makes it easy to be invisible. If anything goe wrong, teh smart
and guilty have their funds out of paypal before you can say 'scam' and
its the innocent trusting ones who lose.

There is no button on ebay that says 'show me all goods NOT insisting on
Paypal'.

Ebay and paypal don;t care about the scams, as long as they make money.

Why are they located in Switzerland? so they are outside UK law. I
wonder why.