Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

Default 1001 things that won' t save the planet. Or even come close.

Hugo Nebula wrote:
On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 17:36:48 +0000, a particular chimpanzee, The
Natural Philosopher randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

They work when there is a need for mass transportation from one definite
point to another. Or within a pretty constrained area.

Sadly this is NOT , largely, what commuting is all about, nor yet most
other uses to which people put transport.

But once everybody realises that going shopping and going to work is a
total waste of time and money, and you can do more huddled over a DSL
modem at home, the question should largely become irrelevant.

It would be difficult to do my job from home;

That is why I said 'largely' . You are one of the few people here who
actually do a 'real' job of direct physical benefit to people. You are
in a minority.

The vast majority of all office work can be done at home, and office
work is what most peole sadly do. Car owners anyway.

it would be impossible
to inspect a foundation excavation or the fire protection to a means
of escape via a webcam, or if I did, you certainly wouldn't want to
spend any time in such a building.

This is the problem with solutions to commuting that don't involve
personal transport; they fail to take account of jobs that aren't 9 to
5 in offices in city centres.

Precisely.

Guess who were the first professional car users? district nurses and
doctors..