Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis[_2_] mac davis[_2_] is offline

Default Pen Turning Question

On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 20:52:29 -0800, "William Noble" wrote:

I did this for a bit.. works better with long jaws, to keep the blank
square to
the bit..
Cranking the tailstock in and out gets old real quick, though... ;-]

mac

but why, oh why would you crank the tailstock - put the wood in the chuck,
put the drill in the tailstock, don't clamp the tailstock down, start the
lathe and push on the tailstock to advance the bit, then pull it back, stop
the lathe and repeat with next piece.

personally, I just use a drill press - it's not at all important that you be
centered, just far enough away from edges that you can make the pen

I used to do just that, Bill, as I got part way through a bunch of blanks and
started getting impatient..
I found that without the tail stock banjo locked, it has just enough up and down
play while sliding to drill a slightly oval hole..
Not having any matching oval pen tubes, I bought the drilling vice and use the
DP now..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing