Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman Don Foreman is offline

Default 12vt compressors?

On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 01:47:43 -0800, Gunner Asch
wrote:

My Christmas presents included a gift certificate to....Harbor
Freight.. G

I was browsing the online catalog and came across their 12vt air
compressor. This would be handy for my truck.

Is this a decent rig, or is it a piece of crap?

Any suggestions for a decent one under $50?

Gunner

I've sometimes wondered if a defunct weedwhacker engine might not
make a pretty good little compressor. Had one laying around for
years, finally tossed it last week figuring if I haven't touched it in
10 years I probably won't. It had good compression, just wouldn't
start. Probably carb. Gutsy 12-volt motors aren't hard to find. I
think some Ford starter motors are permanent-magnet motors.

One would have to devise a way to lubricate it, unless it was a
4-stroke weedwhacker if there is such a thing.