Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] pdrahn@coinet.com is offline

Default 12vt compressors?

On Dec 28, 4:25 am, "Pete C." wrote:
Gunner Asch wrote:

My Christmas presents included a gift certificate to....Harbor
Freight.. G

I was browsing the online catalog and came across their 12vt air
compressor. This would be handy for my truck.

Is this a decent rig, or is it a piece of crap?

Any suggestions for a decent one under $50?

Gunner

Nearly all the little 12V compressors are crap, it's mostly a question
of finding functional crap. I'd go for this one:http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=93186

I've got it in my truck, and while I've not had a need to use it on the
road yet, it did seem to perform ok when I tested it out.

This won't do Gunner any good because I have never seen another. Years
ago when we lived in the Seattle area I picked up a British made 12
volt tire pump compressor at a garage sale. Unused and still in the
box! Nothing fancy, a 12 volt motor like a fan motor, directly
attached to a little air compressor made from cast aluminum or pot
metal. A wire frame keeps it off the ground. And of course a hose and
connector to the tire.

The wires had a lighter plug, which I removed and added longer wires
and battery clamps. I have used this unit to pump car, truck, lawn
mower, tractor tires many times. The compressor part does get hot, but
keeps on pumping air.

I can't look at it right now, It's home in the truck, but the name was
"grasshopper". A very appropriate name as it tends to jump up and down
while running!

If anyone ever sees this at a flea market or garage sale, get it! Has
anyone else ever seen one?

Paul