Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default Banning incandescent lamps?

On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 23:54:54 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ed
Huntress" quickly quoth:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .

snip

P.S: The yellowish "Warm White" bulbs SUCK!

So, which ones are best for color?

Most bulbs with 20+ watts. The 13W bulbs just weakly bleat out yellow
colors and aren't good for much of anything. I much prefer anything
with a 4000K or higher rating. Bluer is good, yellower is bad. Higher
CRI ratings seem to go hand in hand with higher Kelvin output.

Wiki up the latest info and best CF compilation I've seen yet:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compact_fluorescent_lamp

See the pic with the 4 styles of lamps? I much prefer the lefthand
one.

That's interesting, because I would have thought the ones that were close to
incandescent temperature were more pleasant for reading and working. But

For reading, I need the bulb to be a foot closer and/or a lot more
lumens if it's yellow incan vs. its whiter CF brother.

I have a couple wall sconces (and some track lights) and use the CFs
to bounce light off the pure white walls and books in my largest
bookcase. The CFs outshine the incans by a mile and make the book
titles more readable. Wimmmenfolk don't like the bluer, whiter light
as well as men do, it seems. That's perfectly OK at my bachelor pad.

photos like that are tricky. Having done a lot of industrial photography
with weird lighting, my reaction to that photo was that it probably isn't
much like what the scene looks like to the eye. Interrupted-spectrum
lighting often looks different on film; I assume the same is true with
digital photos.

Look at the "light shadows" cast on the foreground in that pic for the
true colors. Looking at bulbs is hard for eyes and cameras.

Anyway, I'll have to get a couple of new ones and try them. I'll miss my
dimmers (I made a bunch of them years ago, and I've replaced them all over
the house with commercial ones, over the years) but it will be worth it.

Now that I've seen that the less expensive dimmable fluor bulbs are
available, I'm going to try them, too. Ditto the LED lighting when it
becomes affordable.

Thanks for the tips, Larry.

Jewelcome, Ed.

--
Once we believe in ourselves, we can risk curiosity, wonder, spontaneous
delight, or any experience that reveals the human spirit.