Posted to alt.home.repair

Default rinnai vs rheem tankless

On Dec 27, 10:26�pm, ransley wrote:
On Dec 27, 8:48�pm, " wrote:

I assume your going gas tankless but consider the following before
purchase............

gas will require a large new gas line directly to the tankless perhaps
even a new meter and may
require a new flue, all those BTUs have to go somewhere, the install
will be expensive, tankless will require routinue maintence by
qualified techniocians $$$ if the tankless quits working NO HOT WATER
AT ALL, the costs o do all this will exceed the standby losses, the
payback exceeds
the tankless warranty and expected life.....

in areas that get cold in the winter low incoming water temperatures
may generate lower output temperature, and chilly showers. unit must
be sized to maximum flow. OPs going to be a large costly unit.

standby losses of regular tanks, foam insulated today are pretty low,
and in the winter the standby losses go to heat your home so they
really arent lost. although in the summer they can add to heat load a
little.

in low flow situations like a faucet open a little to wash your hands
the heater may not trip on and you will have cold hand washes.

when you turn on a hot water faucet the tankless must detect flow, and
turn on burners before you get any hot water. so assume some water and
sewer waste, heck that cost may exceeed the standby losses.

regular tanks are long life dependable appliances and pretty cheap
too. say 500 bucks installed with a 10 year life. 50 bucks per year
cost thats not even a decent candy bar cost per week.

good luck with your tankless although you may be better off with a 75
or 100 gallon high �75.000 BTU tank, it will give you nearly unlimited
hot water without some of the downsides.

UNLIMITED hot water may result in people showering forever increasing
dramatically your water sewer and heating bill. teenagers
espically......

Alright Hallerb now that you said all the negatives and since you dont
own one, as I do, and since you put them down since you dont own one,
Tell the OP he will save money with one as I do. About 28% a year
andno ive never needed any maintanance in 6 years, so mine has paid
for itself. Gee its nice commenting on people that never used a unit,
but cut it down because they dont own one and think they are bad. Dumb.- Hide quoted text -

hey I just talked to a local fellow who bought a tankless last spring.
he complains of slow arrival of hot water. cold hand washing and says
his hasnt saved any money. he also says its a water and sewer waster,
because of the lag time between water on and hot water arrived

your claim of 28% I believe is really inflated. my 50 gallon 75K BTU
tank has a operating cost of under 275 bucks per year according to the
energy guide.

assuming your savings claim is true thats 72 bucks a year.

The OP tankless will easily cost 2 grand installed, given his large
number of loads, it will be a large unit.

before the OP goes tankless he should be informed of the possible
downsides to his expensive purchase.

plus others who have lived with tankless report these issues.

most notably they state the 2 best days for a tankless owner, the day
its installed and the day its replaced with a standard tank, their
words not mine......

If I get time I will google back previous discussions about tankless
and the actual owners reports