Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis[_2_] mac davis[_2_] is offline

Default Pen Turning Question

On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 14:36:34 -0800 (PST), Fred Holder
wrote:

Hello Dave,

I don't believe anyone mentioned it, but if you have a four jaw scroll
chuck with 25mm jaws, you can hold the blank with the chuck and drill
with a Jacob's Chuck mounted in the tailstock. I don't make many pens,
but when I do this is the process that I use. It makes about as truely
centered hole as possible.

Fred Holder
http://www.fholder.com

I did this for a bit.. works better with long jaws, to keep the blank square to
the bit..
Cranking the tailstock in and out gets old real quick, though... ;-]

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing