Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Harold and Susan Vordos Harold and Susan Vordos is offline

Default Pinging Harold & Susan

"Wes" wrote in message
"Ed Huntress" wrote:

Hmm. OK. I'm still curious about an aluminum oxide dressing stick on
diamond, though.

I think we are going to have to wait for Harold on that part.

Wes

Funny, suddenly I'm not seeing Ed's posts. MY damned ISP has been nothing
short of a PITA of late.

While I've used a dressing stick on my diamond wheel on rare occasion, I
avoid its use as much as is possible, for obvious reasons.

My casual observation indicates it tends to abrade the matrix, not so much
the diamond, which feely cuts aluminum oxide or silicon carbide. By
removing a small amount of the matrix, old diamond is released and new
diamond exposed. It's a combination of cleaning the wheel and changing the
exposed abrasive. Often the problem with a diamond wheel is
reasons to run a diamond wheel wet---to keep it from loading. It makes a
huge difference in performance. Keeping soft materials off helps, too
(steel, for example).

Harold