Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mechanical Magic Mechanical Magic is offline

Default VFD or Static phase converter on Clausing 1301

On Dec 27, 7:34 pm, oldjag wrote:
I brought home a Clausing 1301 lathe not long ago as a new addtion to
the home shop. It has a Doer 5hp 2 speed 208V 3ph motor. It runs
fine off the the 15hp phase converter I have for the larger lathe and
mill, but where I want to put it in the shop I don't have any 3 phase
wiring installed. There is a 220V 1phase outlet in place but I can't
find any 5hp 1 phase to 3 phase VFD's for less than ~800 bucks.
Since I'm not going full load a static converter would be fine -but
apparently they won't work on two speed motors. Anyone try this with
success? I'm also worried about using a VFD with a non VFD rated
motor, since this motor is a special mount ie. v exp to replace.

VFD's do not work well with a switch between the VFD and the motor.
If you are very careful, and never switch the motor speed switch,
while the VFD is powering the motor, you may be OK.
That said, my motor supplier claims that any NON-VFD rated motor will
always fail, sooner or later. I have had no failures, yet.

I have 2 VFD's working fine, I love them. One on a VFD rated motor,
one not.
Dave