Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
oldjag oldjag is offline

Default VFD or Static phase converter on Clausing 1301

I brought home a Clausing 1301 lathe not long ago as a new addtion to
the home shop. It has a Doer 5hp 2 speed 208V 3ph motor. It runs
fine off the the 15hp phase converter I have for the larger lathe and
mill, but where I want to put it in the shop I don't have any 3 phase
wiring installed. There is a 220V 1phase outlet in place but I can't
find any 5hp 1 phase to 3 phase VFD's for less than ~800 bucks.
Since I'm not going full load a static converter would be fine -but
apparently they won't work on two speed motors. Anyone try this with
success? I'm also worried about using a VFD with a non VFD rated
motor, since this motor is a special mount ie. v exp to replace.