Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default Ice Maker

"Dottie" wrote in message
On Dec 25, 9:34 pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
"Dottie" wrote in message
How hard is it to find a
replacement ice maker for a 10 year old refrigerator? There is a
store that sells used appliances and still good used parts. I think I
am going to start there. If they don't have one, and if I can buy a
new one to work in the old refrigerator, would it be wise to do
that ?

Forget used. Icemakers are the most frequently repaired item on
refrigerators so it is not worth trying a used one that may also be bad now
or very soon.

Replacements are readily available from many sources. I've
usedwww.repairclinic.comfor some parts as well as my local dealer.

Thank you to everyone....the refrigerator is a Frigidaire. Anyway,
when my husband gets back from morning errands we will check and see
if the water line is blocked. The instructions are in the book that
came with it. I would like to try and figure out how to run it
through the entire cycle before I do anything. Hate to buy a new ice
maker and find out that wasn't the problem ... but the water line
doesn't look "crimped" - at least, no more than usual.

Another thing to check is the freezer temp. If it is not cold enough, it will
not make as much ice. If the house temp is down, the freezer will get warmer to
maintain the set refridge temp, and ice production will go down. Is ice cream
"hard" in the freezer when the problem exists?