Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Trevor Jones Trevor Jones is offline

Default Banning incandescent lamps?

wrote:
Trevor Jones asked why diesel engines haven't taken off in the U.S. and
to this I say:
G.M. is the culprits here. They poisoned the well by selling ill
conceived designs in the 1980's (I.E.) the Olds/Chevy diesel built
around the 350C.I. gas engine. I had A Chevy Caprice Wagon (1982) with
one of these boat anchors in it and it was the happiest day of my life
when A con rod took A detour through the engine block!!
The small diesels in there Vega's and LUV pickup's were nothing to
write home about either.

H.R.

I could see that to some extent.

I have driven some of the small diesel (under) powered trucks from the
early '80's and the tech in them was as low as their top speeds.

I sold an Olds with a 350 in it, that had suffered an engine fire, to
a person that was replacing an Olds diesel 350 with a gas engine.

Technology HAS moved on, though, and a large number of folk in the US
have seen that there is hope, as well as throttle response, in a diesel
engine.

It'll be interesting to see how things work out, with more of the
"mainstrean" vehicles like the Jeep models, coming out with a diesel as
an option.

Cheers
Trevor Jones