Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Pinging Harold & Susan

"Wes" wrote in message
"Ed Huntress" wrote:

Thanks, Wes. Verrry interesting. Have you done this? How fast does an
aluminum oxide stick wear when you're dressing diamond? I assume it just
shatters the diamonds, right? Or does it pull a layer completely out of
the
matrix, exposing a new layer?

I've never used the things for their intended use. We have them at work.
believe to dress the diamond wheel dressing wheels that dress our cbn
grinding wheels.

I have used them to clean up a locating ring on a special chuck after the
operators spin a part on it. Remove the clamping arms, defeat the
interlocks, spin it up to 2500 rpm and hold the dressing stick against the
locating ring. Gitter done. Stick breaks down really quick on steel and
conforms to the ring while removing the boogers. Recenter the chuck on a
1st operation part and put the thing back into production.

Wes

Hmm. OK. I'm still curious about an aluminum oxide dressing stick on
diamond, though. That one threw me.

--
Ed Huntress