Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc
geoff geoff is offline

Default 1001 things that won' t save the planet. Or even come close.

In message , The Natural
Philosopher writes
geoff wrote:
In message , The Natural
Philosopher writes
Now find

- a 20% efficient solar panel.
University of Delaware claim to have achieved 42.8

In the lab? and how long to get that debugged out in te field and
wiorking at gigawatt capacity? 30 years? fusion power works too. In
the lab.

solar cells are lowly technology compared to what's needed for
fusion
You don't NEED that efficiency

You nheed better t5han 5% or a milllion quid a picowatt.

- the means of actually transporting that energy across sea
boundaries
It would have to be distributed around, wouldn't it
Nobody said it wouldn't present problems and costs

at under a million quid a kilometer
- someone who will sell you Texas.
mainly desert anyway, isn't it

Hardly.

as are other large areas within the tropics round the globe

No, they are mainly rain forest. "Tropical Rain Forest'

North Africa, S USA, mexico, India

Not round the tropics, or not desert mainly.

Let's see ...

N Africa - Morocco, Tunisia, Egypt, right across - plenty of quality
sunshine, lots of open, useable space

S USA - plenty of desert

Mexico - ditto

really, no shortage of un-populated useable area of desert / scrubland
with nowt but a few goats up olive trees

Of course, it might be necessary to remove some rednecks, but you could
use their own Glocks on them

Maybe saying tropics was a bit optimistic to a pedant

Plenty of desert there
Also plenty of hilly terrain well suited

- and the money to actually build it.
doesn't make it impossible, it just needs a will

No, it DOES make it impossible.

Not if oil companies saw it was the only way to go

Even if oil companies, who are UTTERLY unsuited to this technology, saw
it as a way to go.

No - at the end of the day they are big corporations with a lot of money
and influence who want to make more money and are used to massive
investment to get there

Did you know that, for example, to give everyone the sort of top
notch medical care that they could be given, would take 3x the gross
national product of this country?

So what ?
Who was promising first rate facilities?

I merely quote an example of something one can conceive of, but is
practically impossible. That is impossible to achieve in practice, Not
'nearly' impossible.

Sort of irrelevant smokescreen then

If it takes more than the population of the world to save the world,
all working flat out, its kinda impossible.

What (IMO) a stupid thing to say

Pots and kettles.

You haven't a clue have you?

About what things cost, and what that means?

Where did I say it was going to be cheap ?

If there aren't enough people in the world to save the world,it can't
be saved.

I don't see much in the way of proof

You've been greenwashed.

I don't think so,

Thats part of the process.

Believe me (and note previous posts of mine) I don't think that we can
wave a magic wand and fix things

--
geoff