Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

Default 1001 things that won' t save the planet. Or even come close.

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Ed Sirett wrote:

Yes, that was my way of reading the OP too - e.g. solar and wind
power do useful stuff in certain situations, but they're by no
means the 'save the planet' solution that some people appear to
promote them as.

My take was that its all a waste of time because global warming is a
natural phenomenon & we can't do anything but adapt to it. Its just
another industry.

No. That was definitely not what I meant. I evebn specifically put in
there that believing that climate change wasn't man made, and
therefore we didn't need to worry about it,was specifically one thing
that would NOT save the planet.

I believe there is a genuine and urgent problem, but all we are being
sold is snake oil.

We cannot survive at present population levels, PARTICULARLY with
respect to also being able to mitigate the effects of climate change,
without using as much, or indeed more, energy than we use now.

Around 95% of CO2 generated is as a result of generating energy from
fossil fuels.

That assumes that CO2 is responsbile for climate change rather than being a
product of climate change.

Climate change isn't a new phenomenen. History is full of it - all
occurring before the Green Party loonies existed.

Between 1550 and 1750 the Thames froze over each year for many years,
permitting the Frost Fairs. The last one was held in the winter of 1813-14.
No great CO2 emmissions then?

River Medway frozen over in 1947 & 63. Floods in East Anglia 1953 & 54. The
list goes on.

I believe its simply a new version of the "God is punishing us because we
are sinners" theory.

Ergo, we have to find ways to generate energy without generating CO2.

There is only one technology that meets the cost and maturity criteria
that is suitable in the UK.

Its seldom mentioned.

Nuclear power is the way forward IMO.

--