Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

Default 1001 things that won' t save the planet. Or even come close.

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Ed Sirett wrote:

Yes, that was my way of reading the OP too - e.g. solar and wind
power do useful stuff in certain situations, but they're by no means
the 'save the planet' solution that some people appear to promote
them as.

My take was that its all a waste of time because global warming is a natural
phenomenon & we can't do anything but adapt to it. Its just another
industry.

No. That was definitely not what I meant. I evebn specifically put in
there that believing that climate change wasn't man made, and therefore
we didn't need to worry about it,was specifically one thing that would
NOT save the planet.

I believe there is a genuine and urgent problem, but all we are being
sold is snake oil.

We cannot survive at present population levels, PARTICULARLY with
respect to also being able to mitigate the effects of climate change,
without using as much, or indeed more, energy than we use now.

Around 95% of CO2 generated is as a result of generating energy from
fossil fuels.

Ergo, we have to find ways to generate energy without generating CO2.

There is only one technology that meets the cost and maturity criteria
that is suitable in the UK.

Its seldom mentioned.

Instead we get greenwash.