Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

Default 1001 things that won' t save the planet. Or even come close.

Ed Sirett wrote:
On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 12:48:05 -0600, Jules wrote:

On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 17:38:57 +0000, Tim Ward wrote:

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message
. co.uk, at
10:45:15 on Thu, 27 Dec 2007, Jules
remarked:

(For more serious suggestions, can I add public transport and car
pooling?)

Both of those work when it's done properly. Like the tube in
London, or car pooling 9-5 office jobs when there's several of you
in a suburb and you all drive to the same office in the city.

Several of the things in TNP's list "work" in the sense of
contributing to changing things in the right direction. I think
he's trying to claim that we can do them all and it still won't be
enough to "save the planet".

Yes, that was my way of reading the OP too - e.g. solar and wind
power do useful stuff in certain situations, but they're by no means
the 'save the planet' solution that some people appear to promote
them as.

My take was that its all a waste of time because global warming is a natural
phenomenon & we can't do anything but adapt to it. Its just another
industry.

I'm more with the spirit of the /Surviviors/ the cult BBC drama from
the 70's (which I hear is now going to be remade). I.e. The few
people who survive [1] will have to get on with how they find things
and make the best they can out of what they have.

That was a great drama series. I've got both of the books. Love to see a
remake.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk