Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

Default 1001 things that won' t save the planet. Or even come close.

Jules wrote:
On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 17:36:48 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
But once everybody realises that going shopping and going to work is a
total waste of time and money, and you can do more huddled over a DSL
modem at home, the question should largely become irrelevant.

Precisely. The problem shouldn't be one of "how do we get from A to B
efficiently", but "how do we avoid the need to get to B in the first
place"... and so far very few people seem to be worrying about that.

The whole concept of going to a central place to shop or work is one of
our own making, and in a lot of cases it's one that we could choose
to solve if we so wanted.

(Maybe we need a "1001 things that could save the planet" thread, too :-)

No, actually its three things only.

Efficient electric batteries,
The internet
Nuclear power.

Those three together applied ruthlessly would knock western CO2
production down by around 90%.

cheers

Jules