Posted to alt.home.repair
jim jim is offline

Default Install Wood Floors Before or After Kitch Cabinets?

On Dec 27, 12:33*pm, Jeff B wrote:
As part of my kitchen remodeling, I am having an installer (not me!)
put in hardwood flooring. *Its the same boards that run in the hall
and dining room.

To avoid dinging and scratching the floor, I had always thought of
installing floor cabs and appliances BEFORE calling in the floor
installer. *In other words, have the floor be the LAST job. *The
appliances and cabs will sit on 3/4" plywood to get them up to final
floor height. *But I just realized that if I take this approach, the
installer will have no way to nail under the recessed portion of the
cab! *No room to get the nailer underneath and nail that end of the
board. *This is probably not an issue for tile floor installation.

Is my logic correct? *When installing wood flooring, what's the proper
sequence?

--Jeff

copy and pasted:

The hardwood flooring installation can proceed much faster when the
cabinets are not in place. Aside from the normal doorways and wall
offsets there is nothing to cut around. The flooring that is hidden
under cabinets gives you or a future homeowner lots of options should
they wish to change the cabinet layout.

Several things happen if you install flooring after the cabinets are
in place. Built-in appliances can become trapped for life. These
appliances come with leveling legs. When the legs are adjusted so that
the appliance is at its minimum height, it may not slide out of its
opening because it is blocked by the flooring. What happens if you
need a new dishwasher or ice maker?

When cabinets are in place the flooring installer needs to exercise
extreme caution while working. There is a great chance of scratching a
cabinet or two. Some pieces of hardwood flooring that go under the
cabinet toe kicks are impossible to nail and must be glued in place.
The installation is slow and tedious