Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic
ian field ian field is offline

Default PIC clock source.

"oppie" wrote in message

"ian field" wrote in message

"oppie" wrote in message
aifk the type of clock is spec'ed in the 'configuration bits' section of
MPLAB. There is a default clock that is initially used and this depends
on the target device (also specified in MPLAB). Past that, the download
is synchronous so the clock is not initially important just as long as
there is one.

Perhaps a better way of phrasing my question - is the PGC clock supplied
by the ICSP interface sufficient on its own during programming, or does
an external clock have to be provided in the absence of an internal clock
generator?

You need some sort of clock running on the micro in order to do anything -
including ICSP.
Default clocks can be anything from an onboard RC oscillator to the
external crystal osc - varies from device to device and families. Check
the datasheet for the chip in question as to start-up oscillator
configurations.
What device are you planning to use?

Most likely 16f84 since that is what I've found the most tutorials for.