Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Load bearing wall

"car crash" wrote in message
I am doing my basement and wanted to take out a wall near the
staircase. What concerns me is that at the end of the staircase there
are 2 2x4's that have a big yellow coloured 2x10 resting on it at the
top. Now this 2x10 is being held up by a steel floor joist support,
but what I was wondering if is that the 2 2x4's area load bearing
wall? Someone from Home Depot was telling me that there is no such
thing as a load bearing wall in the basement and that I can definitely
take it out.
Can anyone else provide input ? The house is brand new, 1 year old,
and built in Ottawa, Ontario
Thanks.

You'd have to be nuts to accept the word of a Home Depot employee or a
newsgroup junkie that has never seen what you have. If the house is only 1
year old, the builder and/or architect is probably still around and can
answer your question.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/