Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Load bearing wall

"car crash" wrote in message
I am doing my basement and wanted to take out a wall near the
staircase. What concerns me is that at the end of the staircase there
are 2 2x4's that have a big yellow coloured 2x10 resting on it at the
top. Now this 2x10 is being held up by a steel floor joist support,
but what I was wondering if is that the 2 2x4's area load bearing
wall? Someone from Home Depot was telling me that there is no such
thing as a load bearing wall in the basement and that I can definitely
take it out.
Can anyone else provide input ? The house is brand new, 1 year old,
and built in Ottawa, Ontario
Thanks.

Builders are not known for putting in extra things that are not needed. My
guess is that the 2 x 4s are there for a reason. Find out what their
function is before you make changes. Pictures would be helpful.