Posted to sci.electronics.repair
jakdedert jakdedert is offline

Default Toshiba Tecra 8000 cmos batteries

Symptom: after coming out of storage of only a few months--totally dead.
No lights, no sounds, absolutely no indication that a charger, a
docking bay or a battery (all known good) are connected at all...a
brick. This particular (peculiar?) dinosaur has two batteries attached
to the motherboard.

First question: why two batteries (one 7.2 volt 40mah, one 2.4v
unit--both NiMH's)?

Secondly, any reason why the 7-8 year old 2.4 volt unit still reads
2.4v, while the 7.2v piece is totally dead? Or should I instead be
surprised that either worked at all?

Third--and probably most importantly--would that one dead (7.2v) battery
cause the symptom? I don't know how much more time I want to put into
this relic, but I can spring for a battery if that's likely to fix it.

jak