Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
joost joost is offline

Default Cutting bolt with minimal heat

On 22 dec, 19:54, Bruce L. Bergman
wrote:
On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 22:28:05 -0800 (PST), joost

wrote:
Thank you all for the reactions. Iīm quite amazed by this enormous
response. Out of all the suggestions I chose to use the grubscrews. I
found some zinc plated grub screws, which seems to be a little rare,
so I donīt have to clean the oil off that is on the normal black oxide
ones. What I do after removing the deck with brute force:
1. drill all holes with 5 mm
2. tap 6 mm thread into it with the tap on the battery drill in low
gear using cutting oil
3. degrease the holes with carb cleaner
4. dip grubscrew in epoxy and screw in until top side of the screw is
level with the deck
5. with a syringe I also fill the hex slot of the screw with epoxy
6. sandblast
7. paint
8. fill the hex slots again with epoxy filler, depending on how much
of this was shot out by the blasting
9. paint again

Okay, now that you have all the holes sealed what are you going to
do with the bare deck? Anti-slip paint with silica sand, ground
walnut shells or AlOx particles mixed in?

Or make removable floorboard panels that only bolt down at the cross-
slats and in the corners? That would be my first thought - they start
looking bad every 10 years, pull them up and make new ones.

-- Bruce --

Well, thatīs indeed a next problem. I feel most for anti slip paint,
but Iīm still investigating the best way to do it. Many methods are
not really good. I heard good stories though about some granite grain
made by Sika.