Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Harold and Susan Vordos Harold and Susan Vordos is offline

Default Bench Grinder

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 06:10:37 GMT, "Harold and Susan Vordos"
wrote:

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
. ..
On Tue, 25 Dec 2007 21:50:42 -0500, Wes wrote:

Wes wrote:

I tried a green wheel once and took Harolds advice and bought a diamond
wheel. Like night and day. The carbide isn't chipped with the diamond
unlike it was with green wheel.

replace unlike with like

Green for roughing and forming, diamond for finishing

Gunner

Yeah, if you believe the rumors. Green wheels offer no
advantages---diamond will rough faster and better.

Harold

If you have a good selection of (expensive) diamond wheels. Green
wheels are cheap.

Gunner

I'ts all in your perspective. You need but one diamond wheel to address
almost all your sharpening needs for lathe tools----the only limitation
being grinding chip breakers, and even then you're only limited, not
prevented.

The cost of three green wheels will buy you a diamond wheel, which, in turn,
will do the work of 20 green wheels. I don't see green wheels as being
cheap, and their performance sucks big time. Then you have to consider the
hazard of breathing the silicon.

I've been forced to use a silicon wheel when it really mattered----but the
shop in question was run by a bunch of dolts that had no clue and wouldn't
even entertain the idea of a diamond wheel. They wasted more money in
carbide annually than the value of a decent diamond wheel. As I said,
silicon carbide wheels are a false economy. The only thing to recommend them
is that they will shape carbide, at least after a fashion. I hesitate to
use the term "sharpen", for obvious reasons.

Harold