Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RoyJ RoyJ is offline

Default Bending 1" X 1/8" aluminum bar

If the bar stock is the home store special from the rack (unknown alloy)
AND your bend radius is at least 2x or 3x (1/4" to 3/8"), the bar will
bend easily. For this, the only issue is repeatability of the bend and
control of the bend radius. One of the bench benders
work great (you might need to do a new die, just use a piece of suitable
cold rolled with a hole drilled through the center) You can do almost as
good with a simple plate, some tapped holes, and some 1/2" hardened
steel bolts as bend points.

If you are working with a stiff aluminum like 6061-T6 and a tight bend
radius (less than 2x the thickness), you will be material limited and
will need both good tooling and some what to anneal the material.

rgoldner wrote:
I have to put 35° bends in 1" X 1/8" aluminum. I tried a vice and
hammering the end of the bar that sticks out about 1". This looked
real bad and if I bent the aluminum too much and tried to straiten it
a little it broke. Obviously, I don't have a metal brake. Is there a
better way to do this? I have to make eight bends. I do have a CNC
mill and a lathe as well as tooling and other assorted equipment.

Thanks!