Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default Bench Grinder

On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 17:22:07 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm,
"Harold and Susan Vordos" quickly quoth:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 06:30:09 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm,
"Harold and Susan Vordos" quickly quoth:

snip---

The myth has been hard dying. There was a time when diamond wheels were
cost prohibitive----so they were not commonly found in the shop. That's
not
the case any longer. A diamond wheel that used to cost $600 is now
readily available for under $200------so the cost is down more than 300%,

I think you mean 66.67%, don't you? 300% would make them give you
$1,200 for every wheel you take from them. I'd like to attend that
sale, so let me know when that happens, won't you, 'Arry? g

Sigh!

I seem to have been comparing against the wrong number. Perhaps that
explains why I never received that $1,200 of which you spoke.

Oh, darn. I could use a good diamond wheel and an extra grand or two.
My shipment of heavy metal came in last week. I picked up my brand new
Toyota Tundra (gold instead of white, long story) and am having fun
with it already. I may go out in the snow later to see how it drives
with Michelins in the white crap.

We got our first dusting of snow yesterday afternoon, and there's
about half an inch on the tree branches now. It melted off the ground
so far. How's your White Christmas coming? And how are your neighbors
in flooded Chehalis doing?

You're lucky! It started snowing here mid afternoon, and never really

It has started and stopped 3 times since I wrote that. It's about 33F
out there so most of it melts pretty quickly. I sent my family over
the Siskiyou Summit this morning at 9. They usually keep I-5 pretty
clear.

stopped. We have about 8" of snow on the ground as we speak, although it
has quit snowing for the moment. They're threatening us with more tomorrow.
I hate snow. Rotten damned stuff knocked out our power about 4:00 AM..
Luckily, we placed a call to get it restored, which happened about 8:30.
Took a walk when it got light enough to see and found a branch had dropped
across two phases of our 3 phase service, knocking out one leg. We, alone,
were out of power, so it's a good thing we called. Otherwise, they'd have
never known.

Pretty wild! We still have the noisy power we always do. Within the
first year of moving up here I ended up putting a UPS on my computer
to keep it from rebooting 3-5 times a day, and last year I added one
to my entertainment setup. sigh

As luck would have it, records show that our area has had a white Christmas
only five times in the past 100 years. Make it six in 101!

I think we've had 2 since I've been here (6 years in Feb.)

We drove to Chehalis Monday morning. Things are looking a lot better, but
far, very far, from being back to normal. Some of the stores had more than
6' of water inside, while others received just several inches. The
state liquor store is out of business for the time being-----and a few other
businesses are still not open. Large stores are back in business, although
some are restricting hours (Home Depot, for one) and don't have a full
compliment of wares. The flood is recognized as the worst one to hit,
according to records.

Ugh!

Thanks for asking.

Best of luck to you all.

--
Once we believe in ourselves, we can risk curiosity, wonder, spontaneous
delight, or any experience that reveals the human spirit.