Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Harold and Susan Vordos Harold and Susan Vordos is offline

Default Bench Grinder

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
anews.com...
Harold,
I set up my baldor carbide grinder with a diamond on one plate and a small
relief (5 degree?). The other plate at maybe 10 degree and an old green
stone.

I ruff on the green stone and finish on the diamond. As I often use insert
tooling, I only sharpen a few carbide bits a year. Would you change
anything?

Karl

If you're happy with the results you're getting, no, I wouldn't recommend
you change anything, although you might consider reducing your roughing
angle, closer to the finish angle. Relieve the steel before using the green
wheel, and stop a bit short of having the tool where you want it. Let the
diamond bring it in-----which will happen quickly-----and will limit the
amount of carbide you remove. The real benefit will be ending up with
minimal relief, for strength.

When your old green wheel is gone, you might consider not replacing it. Use
the diamond wheel alone. There's really no benefit in using the green
wheel, but if you have it, you'll leave a few more miles on your diamond
wheel by using it.

Consider that unless you're a youngster (I think those days are gone for
both of us, eh?), you're highly unlikely to wear out your wheel if it's a
resinoid bonded one. If, on the other hand, you use a plated wheel, I'd
stick with the green wheel for roughing. Resinoid bonded wheels last for
years unless you abuse them. Pound for pound, you can grind carbide much
cheaper with diamond, and do a much better job. Most guys go with a green
wheel because the initial investment is much smaller----but so is the
performance. Silicon carbide, alone, is a false economy.

Harold