Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex Rex is offline

Default Using newspapers to heat the shop

Phil Kangas wrote:
"Rex" sat on a stool by his stove and wrote:
I have a shop heater consisting of a 55-gallon drum on

it's side.
chimney on one end, door and adjustable damper on the

other.
In the normal course of shop work anything made of paper,

wood or
cardboard goes into small cardboard boxes and gets packed

pretty firmly.
The resultant package get used oil added to it. It burns

quite well,
even hotter than I like if I get too ambitious with it

(big box, lots of
oil). this gets rid of waste paper, newsprint, boxes, and

oil. it
burns hot enough that it doesn't smoke.

I do the same thing, Rex! That barrell stove may not be the
most efficient
but sure feels good at -20F....;) In twenty years I've not
had to clean the
chimney, it's always burned out heh heh ........
Phil Kangas

Our N Texas winters don't hold a candle to yours, but that stove sure
knocks the chill off. I've been meaning to convert it to a true oil
burner, but I have enough other projects stacked up, and too little shop
time.

GMTA

(Great Minds think Alike)