Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Harold and Susan Vordos Harold and Susan Vordos is offline

Default Bench Grinder

"John Martin" wrote in message
On Dec 26, 1:10 am, "Harold and Susan Vordos" wrote:
"Gunner Asch" wrote in message

On Tue, 25 Dec 2007 21:50:42 -0500, Wes wrote:

Wes wrote:

I tried a green wheel once and took Harolds advice and bought a diamond
wheel. Like night and day. The carbide isn't chipped with the diamond
unlike it was with green wheel.

replace unlike with like

Green for roughing and forming, diamond for finishing

Gunner

Yeah, if you believe the rumors. Green wheels offer no
advantages---diamond will rough faster and better.

Harold

There is one.

When roughing and reshaping, the green wheel will cut the steel
backing of a brazed carbide tool as well as the carbide itself. You
don't want to do that with a diamond wheel.

John Martin

To which I replied:

I'll be damned if I know why this thing hasn't got the proper tick marks to
represent a reply, but even rebooting didn't change how my reply came up.

While it's true that a green wheel will grind steel with some degree of
success, it isn't a good choice, no more than using diamond. Steel has an
affinity for carbon, thus it dissolves the green wheels much the same way it
dissolves diamond. When you grind steel with a green wheel, you experience
premature dulling and shedding of the abrasive bits, shortening,
substantially, the useful life of the wheel, plus rendering it somewhat less
aggressive towards the carbide. Relieving the steel with an aluminum oxide
wheel is always the best idea. The only advantage of using silicon
carbide on tungsten carbide evaporated long ago, when diamond wheels became
affordable.

Harold