Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default log burner

wrote:
On 24 Dec, 20:43, Pete C wrote:
On Dec 24, 3:29 pm, wrote:

According to Wikipedia, coal is about 6.67 kWh/kg.

A lot depends on what sort of coal it is.

Also according to Wikipedia anthracite has an LHV of 33MJ/kg which
gives 9.17kWh/kg.

I doubt Aga owners will be feeding their beast on 'value' brown coal,
more like /Finest/ smokeless or anthracite ))

cheers,
Pete.

I suppose inferior fuels are unlikely to be used by aga owners. In
which case the solid fuel efficiency is on a par with gas and oil -
ie. really bad considering we are in the 21st century.

Some people care about environmental impact, and are prone to
measuring this in terms of CO2 produced. I reckon that an Aga, left on
all the time, will produce the following emissions:

solid fuel: 6.8 tonnes CO2
oil: 5.2 tonnes CO2
gas: 4.2 tonnes CO2

Isn't the average CO2 per person in the UK about 10 tonnes!

Probably.

I have calculated roughly that about half of total consumption of oil
goes in heating..if you are at home 24x7 as we are, and there are two of
you, that cones out pretty near right for almost total heating
requirements for 75% of the year.