Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry Avant Harry Avant is offline

Default Telephone ring problem

" wrote:

On Dec 25, 10:18?pm, Harry Avant wrote:
I've done all of the standard things like unplug all but one phone,
etc. I used a cell phone to call myself and I can hear part of a ring
then a dead line. I've got the phone co coming out but they are backed
up and I was hoping to find a fix rather than wait on them. I do know
that AT&T has been doing a lot of upgrades in this area such as
running fiber optics and such. I just wander if it's something they
inadvertently did.

" wrote:
On Dec 25, 8:35?pm, "badgolferman"
wrote:
Harry Avant, 12/25/2007,6:41:22 PM, wrote:

My telephone line as developed a problem. When someone calls the phone
rings one very short ring and then the line goes dead. As a result I
can't receive calls but calling out is not affected. Any suggestions?

Begin by eliminating any internal wiring or phones as the source of the
problem. ?Remove all phones, fax machines and modems from the wall
jacks. ?Take a corded type phone to the NIM (Network Interface Module)
attached to your house where the phone company hooks up. ?Plug your
phone into that module and see if the problem remains. ?If not then you
have something inside the house causing your line to appear busy and
messages are going to voicemail or just appearing busy. ?If it
continues at the NIM then your phone company will have to check the
circuit.

unplug all cordless phones

does that fix it?

if it doesnt, unplug network interface, plug regular phone in
interface. if that doesnt fix it call phone company its there problem.

I had that exact trouble turned out to be a bad card in their system.

if plugging a regular phone in the interface works get a cheap 25 foot
telephone extension cord, plug in interface run inside home to a phone
so you have service while this gets sorted out.- Hide quoted text -

the land phone company can temporarily forward all land calls to your
cell till this is fixed. free service for land during tech troubles

i would plug regular phone into NID on side of home to positively
decide if its your wiring or the phone companies.

I checked the box where the phone lines come to the house and it
doesn't have any place to plug in a phone. The lines and box are about
40 years old. Maybe when the tech gets here he can install a more
modern device.