Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Redelfs Jim Redelfs is offline

Default Goodbye 100w, 75w Incandescent Lamps

In article ,
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

Most people don't even know how to open the yellow pages and find a hardware
store. If they figured out where to take hazardous waste, it would be the
result of the wind randomly blowing the phone book open to the correct page
that showed local government offices.

Hey, don't blame the gentry too much until our vaunted officials get THEIR
sh*t together.

Our community had a (rare) full-spectrum "clean-up" a few years ago. They
took lead acid batteries, paint, solvents and other mean, evil chemicals.

I took in some gallon cans of old latex paint and some unused (left over)
oil-based deck stain. I also took in about a half gallon of concentrated
Chlordane. Now THAT is some "good" (bad) stuff. I understand that Bambi
STILL doesn't live anywhere near its Florida test site.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chlordane

I also took in my old 15-inch computer CRT display.

Much to my surprise, there was no special handling of it: Place it over there
in the 40-cu-yard, roll-off dumpster. The thing went to the landfill.

I have since introduced into the general waste stream a couple, more CRTs.

If I can LEGALLY and "properly" dispose of them in that manner, I am unlikely
to PAY additionally for another party to take them off my hands. Heck, it
would probably get dumped on some third world country anyway.
--

JR