Posted to rec.woodworking
toolman946 via CraftKB.com toolman946 via CraftKB.com is offline

Default Panel Saw Experiences?

There are huge gaps in the group's tool inventory. Those gaps are
usually filled by tools the volunteers bring from home. I don't mind
taking my tools up there for my own use, or under my watch,

I hope you won't think I'm bragging when I say that I own or owned just about
every tool you can imagine. And to present my credentials I'll tell you that
I was a licensed welder, machinist and gunsmith before pursuing knowledge and
skill development in the building, electronics and computer trades. I've
owned a number of different businesses and have achieved a measure of
noteriety (within my neck of the woods, anyway) as a world champion athlete
in a shooting sport. I'm told that I'm a fairly reasonable and learned guy.

But...my suggestion to you draws upon 32 years in law enforcement (I'm
currently a Detective Sergeant in command of a specialty unit). Over the
years I've investigated many, many industrial and residential accidents and
have witnessed both the physical carnage and the legal ramifications from
these types of events. Ask your insurance agent why your homeowner's policy
includes a "slip and fall" clause to protect you in the event a trespasser
becomes injured while on your property.

North American culture... and more importantly, our courts... have created
the notion that we have a right to be protected from our own stupidity. If I
get hurt... someone else has to pay, regardless of how stupid my actions were!

If you take one of your tools to use at the jobsite and someone uses it
without your knowledge or permission and hurts themselves... in a lawsuit you
could be found "negligent" for not securing the dangerous tool from another
person's access. And it could cost 'ya.

If you take one of your tools to use at the jobsite and allow another person
to use it with your permission but without ensuring that they know how to use
it safely, and they get hurt... you could be found "grossly negligent" and it
could cost 'ya... big time! The same holds true for the organization and its
principals, directors, directly involved members, and so on.

But don't just take my word for it... check out the meaning of "negligence"
and "gross negligence" with a lawyer and ask him or her about civil liability
as well. I'm sure that the artsy fartsy architect will understand... as he's
no doubt aware of his liability risks in the event that a building he designs
should fall on someone's head.

I'm not trying to scare you... I'm offering my opinion to help you, based
upon my experience and based upon the horror stories I personally know about.
It would be a shame to lose all your tools... your house, your car/truck, etc.
for lack of a few minutes taken to cover 'yer butt!

Geez... did I say all that out loud?!? I didn't mean to climb up on a soap
box... I guess I would just hate to see a good guy like you get hooped!

All the best and good luck to you.

Michael