Posted to rec.woodworking
DonkeyHody DonkeyHody is offline

Default Panel Saw Experiences?

I may have missed it, but are you not going to instruct them on safe tool
use? And, as soon as possible? You seem preoccupied with them buying a panel
saw, but they have they're safety hazards too, just not as many as a table
saw. Why haven't you yet spoken up within your theatre group about your
concerns about safety? Either you're too shy to do so for some reason or
hesitant for another reason. What is it? I'm not attacking you, reciting
what seems to be happening.

I did point out to them the dangers of crosscutting against the
fence. I have stated to the leadership that I think wrestling full-
size sheets across an undersize table saw with no outfeed table is
unecessarily dangerous. But until we have a better way, I'm not going
to attempt to stop grown adults from doing something just because I
consider it risky. If I were in charge of them, it would be
different, but I'm not. Next you'll want me to confront people who
skydive, bungie jump and jaywalk. I'm not taking on that
responsibility, and if you see it as a character weakness, I can live
with it.

DonkeyHody
"We should be careful to get out of an experience only the wisdom
that is in it - and stop there; lest we be like the cat that sits
down
on a hot stove-lid. She will never sit down on a hot stove-lid
again---and that is well; but also she will never sit down on a cold
one anymore." - Mark Twain