Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Harold and Susan Vordos Harold and Susan Vordos is offline

Default Bench Grinder

"Wes" wrote in message
Gunner Asch wrote:

Green for roughing and forming, diamond for finishing

Seeing how well the 150g diamond cut vs the green wheel, I'm going to
disagree this time.

Wes

That's true, even with a finer diamond. My 220 kicks ass compared to a
silicon wheel.

I've been around this stuff for more than 50 years now----and have yet to
see one good reason to use silicon over diamond------for anything.

The myth has been hard dying. There was a time when diamond wheels were
cost prohibitive----so they were not commonly found in the shop. That's not
the case any longer. A diamond wheel that used to cost $600 is now
readily available for under $200------so the cost is down more than 300%,
but the dollar has declined in buying power tremendously as well. It's
clear, the cost of diamond wheels today is but a tiny fraction of the cost
when they would recommend the use of green wheels. They make NO sense
today, NONE!

Gunner lacks the proper exposure to understand what I know all too well.

Harold