Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Brian Lawson Brian Lawson is offline

Default Bending 1" X 1/8" aluminum bar

On Tue, 25 Dec 2007 19:58:28 -0500, "Chas Hurst"
wrote:

"rgoldner" wrote in message
I have to put 35° bends in 1" X 1/8" aluminum. I tried a vice and
hammering the end of the bar that sticks out about 1". This looked
real bad and if I bent the aluminum too much and tried to straiten it
a little it broke. Obviously, I don't have a metal brake. Is there a
better way to do this? I have to make eight bends. I do have a CNC
mill and a lathe as well as tooling and other assorted equipment.

Thanks!

Clamp the strip between 2 pieces of wood in the vise. Use another piece of
wood, struck with a hammer to fold over the strip. If you have problems with
it cracking, the strip can be annealed using a propane or oxy-acetylene
torch.

With the equipment you have, why not mill a die set, and clamp that in
the vise to do the bend? Female V and a male V.