Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT CJT is offline

Default Goodbye 100w, 75w Incandescent Lamps

dpb wrote:

CJT wrote:

In case you didn't notice, the corporate loons are never held
accountable for damage THEY do based on falsehoods about all
the good and minimal harm their pet projects will do. Just look
at how many SuperFund sites there are. Some of the companies
manage to just walk away. Others go bankrupt (even as the people
in charge start another company to repeat the cycle).

The first statement is certainly patently false as a blanket generality,
others note many that have paid large damages, even to the point of
driving them into bankruptcy.

I'll only add that many (and I'd venture "most" but it would take too
much time to confirm the statistics) of the Superfund sites are from
locations that go back in some cases as much as 100 years earlier to
initial site usage for industrial use when both attitudes and knowledge
were grossly different than today. At the time, those were standard and
common practices and virtually all were within compliance of applicable
law and regulations _OF_THE_TIME. That is significant.

That there should be efforts to mitigate former sites is good, but to
caste current individuals as scapegoats for stuff done before they were
even born is not productive.

That said, yes, there are some who aren't doing all they might, but that
too is a fairly widespread trait in human history. Overall, if one
compares progress in the US to the developing nations and places such as
E Europe or the former Soviet Union, we look pretty darn good.

--

.... at least in part because of the efforts of those labeled "loons"
earlier in this thread.