Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry Avant Harry Avant is offline

Default Telephone ring problem

Well I haven't received any collect calls and I don't have call
forwarding.

"HeyBub" wrote:

Harry Avant wrote:
My telephone line as developed a problem. When someone calls the phone
rings one very short ring and then the line goes dead. As a result I
can't receive calls but calling out is not affected. Any suggestions?

The incoming call is being forwarded to Nigeria or somesuch. Here's the way
this scam works:

You get a collect call from someone at the jail. They profusely apologize
for the wrong number, claim they only get one 'phone call, and all you have
to do is punch some magic numbers and the call will be forwarded along with
the charges.

Thereafter, all your incoming calls are routed to Bongo-Bongo and you get
the bill.

There IS a sequence (*WAtermelon-U812-Green or something) to turn off call
forwarding.