Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] brian.jones@wartburg.edu is offline

Default Sharp DK-A1 Music System - stuck on Demo

On Dec 17, 9:55*pm, "
wrote:

I am in the same boat; I too have a "D" model. *The label on the Sharp
box it came in did say, in small print, that the unit was a "display
model." *I guess their idea of a display is a box with flashing
lights, since that is all one can get the thing to do without the
remote. *

Adding to my previous: I now know that having the remote control does
not help. The unit will not exit the demo/display mode even when
commanded by a known working remote (which I got by buying a second
unit). I looked inside, and all modules are the power supply,
display driver, interface boards, processor board, audio amplifier,
and AM/FM tuner. It is a well made unit with especially nice acoustic
design inside.
The only things working in the demo mode are the display (describing
all the units features), the volume control and the equalization
control. The unit is locked in the "Aux" mode, and the RCA phono
connectors in the back are live. I plugged my mp3 player in, and it
sounded great.
I guess this demo unit is useful only as a nice amplifier, though I
feel sure all the circuitry necessary for normal operation is
present. There is a ten-pin (approx) header-type connector under a
small access panel in the rear, and I suspect that the unit can be
tested and programmed through this connector. I don't know how to do
that sort of thing, so I am stuck (even if I did have the pin-out).
That's what I know. Hope it helps someone else.
BJ