Posted to rec.woodworking
JACK JACK is offline

Default For The Turners

I posted this in another group as well so if you get it twice, I apologize,
just looking for all advice possible advice.

Ok, I need advise from the experts and from those who have made mistakes.

My brother in law just gave me 6 deer antler sets to make pens. Anyone
out there have any experience? Anyone tried and screwed up, but know why
they screwed up?

Some basic questions:

Any curing / aging / drying need to be checked or take place?

Whats the best way to cut them?

Any drilling tips?

Gluing tips?

Turning tips - speed, tools, etc?

Anything that you can suggest would be greatly appreciated. I've turned
probably 100 pens, 30 walnut bowls, 6 backscratches, 8 Boxes and made some
other things just for christmas. So I have some experience, just never
attempted Deer Antler. Thanks in advance.

Jack Wynn
Atlanta, GA