Posted to alt.home.repair
cshenk cshenk is offline

Default basic plumbing--drains

"brent" wrote

I am renovating my bathroom.I want to move my bathtub about 6 feet out
from the wall. My intention is to just tie the new drain into the old
line where it ties into the main stack draining down into the
basement. Is there a problem with this?I also want to build a seperate

I'll take a shot at this. I've seen something a bit like it before.

The short version is yes, you can. You have to raise the tub up a bit so as
to get a good angle on the
drain pipe down to the existing drain you use now. If yours is one of the
footed type of tubs, it will
be pretty easy. If it's flush to the floor, you are going to have to raise
it a bit or you will have problems
with clogged pipes all the time.

Whats not clear is the 6ft line and just how you will hide it or whatever,
so you dont trip over it.
It would depend on the placement of things in your bathroom and with no
picture, I cant tell.

walk in shower basically where the bathtub presently is.My intention
is to tie the shower drain into the new bathtub line before it ties
into the main stack.Is there a problem with this?This is the first
time I have attempted any plumbing and any advice would be
appreciated.

How about tie the new shower directly to the existing drain then port the
tub line over to drain
into the shower discretely? You can even use a pretty polished brass end
for that, flush to the
shower wall.

I'm Navy and have seen some pretty unique ways on ships to pipe water
off-flows to gravity drains. The main problem is to
make sure you do not create a trip hazard.