Posted to alt.home.repair
SteveB[_3_] SteveB[_3_] is offline

Default Heat Pump Operation

"Ralph Mowery" wrote in message

"Elle" wrote in message

Ralph, I am definitely thinking about those heat strips. I understand
that, if possible, I want to avoid them coming on so as to minimize
electricity costs. The danged heat strips just have no place in a heat
pump "system" AFAIC anyway. Technically they ain't no heat pump but
instead a modification and the ultimate in heating waste. Hopefully
through improved heat pump thermostat operation, I might even see our
electrical bills go down here.

Anyway, I am toasty warm here. I will post an update if I note other
changes. Thanks for helping me have a nice warm house Xmas morning. Happy
holidays to all.

Glad you are warm. The heat strips have 2 functions. One is when the
heat pump part breaks and you need heat. That is the emergency heat part.
When the temperature goes way low (somewhat below 20 deg F) the heat pump
becomes very inefficiant and the heat strips put out more heat per dollar
than the heat pump part .

Now I am getting confused. I'm the OP.

I have heard now that the low end efficiency falls off at between 20 and 35
degrees F. Which is it? Where I live, the max low is about 25 F.according
to US Weather records. And that for only about a month a year.

I am going to call my hvac guy after the holidays. We're doing an addition
anyway, and we'll be ready to fire up that one. I'm going to have him check
this system, all the ductwork, connections, etc. This system just doesn't
heat the house very well. But then, the house was enlarged, and the size of
the heat pump not increased. We use a wood stove for the large room
addition. At times, we just turn on the fan, and use the unit to
recirculate the warm air from the wood stove throughout the house. Still,
the house has cold rooms.

In a nutshell, it's a bag of snakes that's been Rube Goldberged together.

Now, for my next question: I have a friend who's a union electrician who
does all my work. I have one set of breakers where I can run a new line to
the heat strips, should the hvac guy say they will work. When the unit is
operating, does it need this additional power, or is the 220 line that is
running the unit adequate to run the unit and the heat strips? It would
seem that the unit would be running just the electrical strips and a fan
rather than the strips and the compressor. Am I right or wrong?

I know, I know, I should talk to the hvac guy, and I am going to right after
the holidays. I would just like to be somewhat informed when I do.

Steve