Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Redelfs Jim Redelfs is offline

Default Goodbye 100w, 75w Incandescent Lamps

In article ,
(Don Klipstein) wrote:

What business is it of YOURS what someone else drives or WHERE they drive?

What others drive does affect demand/supply ratios of petroleum and
USA's refinery capacity.

Of course. However, my consumption of Cheerios (admittedly made from a
renewable resource) has the same effect, if lesser.

What is overlooked by many when it comes to the artificially high (or low)
price of gasoline and its effect on those of lesser means is those same folks
effect on the environment: They drive older, often MUCH older, vehicles that
are in relatively poor condition. As such, they consume a disproportionate
amount of fuel and, in doing so, pollute more.

These same poor slobs are disproportionately unlikely to use seatbelts or
acquire (note I didn't say "purchase") - and use - child car seats. Are we
not all paying for these choices? Where's the solution to this problem? More
legislation? More government bureaucracies and control? I think not.

some who can afford to consume non-renewable
resources at a faster rate than necessary

I concede your premise but it is to WHOM we allow to define "necessary" that
concerns me greatly.

Compared to 30-40 years ago, too much of my freedom to choose has been legally
deferred to another person or government entity. In so doing, they have done
a mostly poor job of it. Therefore, I am VERY unwilling to abdicate any more
freedom(s) than I currently have.
--

JR